Despite the publicity of the First Lady talking about Americans eating healthier food, the Obama administration has continued the march of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) to destroy our food system. The US is arguably the most GMO-devastated economy in the world. At least 40 countries around the world require GMO labeling, including china, Russia, India and Saudi Arabia.
GMOs are not designed to increase food output, they are merely designed for greater application of pesticides. This is not surprising since their principal proponent is a pesticide company, Monsantao. The same Monsanto that Obama has been recruiting the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) leadership from. Talk about the wolves watching the hen house. Just as the overuse of antibiotics creates super-germs, the over-application of pesticides has been creating super-weeds. It is simple survival of the fittest. The pesticides kill off the weak weeds, so only the strong survive and breed. As the pesticide use increases, it breeds more pesticide resistant weeds. A viscious cycle for food production, but a profitable situation for Monsanto. As food output dwindles do to superweeds, farmers are forced to buy more and more pesticide to try to keep up.
Remember that pesticide is poison. Humans are not immune to these poisons. GMOs can cause irritable bowels, allergies, lymphoma, birth defects, cancer, liver damage, kidney damage, and reproductive damage.
GMOs have already overtaken in major food crops such as soy, cotton (cotton seed oil), Corn (including high fructose corn syrup), rapeseed (canola oil), sugar beets, milk, and aspartame. In 2009, the Obama administration removed all regulation of GMOs in Papayas. In 2011, the Obama administration removed all regulation of GMOs in Alfalfa. The Obama administration is on track to remove all regulation of GMOs in zucchini, squash, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, rice, and salmon.
- Organic farmers can sue GMO farmers
- Green Party New York: Guv cand Hawkins calls for a ban on Genetically Modified Foods
- Obama officially becomes Dan Quayle: Monsanto Polices Self
- GMOs in Food: Genetically Modified Food & Our Kids | Long Island Press
- Guv cand Hawkins (G-NY): Organic Farming Stops Toxic Pesticides, Herbicides and Fertilizers, Strengthen NYS Food Policy Council
- Kenyans again protest GMO imports (via Food Freedom)
- Organizing a Grassroots Truth-in-Labeling Campaign in Your Community
- Newly Leaked Cable: Pope ‘quietly supportive’ of GMOs (via Food Freedom)
- From Seattle to Cancun: International Coalition Calls on Gates Foundation for Real Solutions to Hunger and Climate Change (via Food Freedom)
- Wikileaks: State Dept. wants intel on African acceptance of GMOs | Grist
- Votes opposing GMOs crash The Economist poll website (via Food Freedom)
- Monsanto’s superweeds come home to roost: 11 mn US acres infested (via Food Freedom)
- October is Non-GMO Month: 10-10-10 is Non-GMO Day (via Food Freedom)
- What biotech doesn’t want you to know about GMOs (via Food Freedom)
- Going Organic (via Veggielover99′s Blog)
Filed under: Action Alert!, activism, Corporations, Ecology, economy, Environment, Food, News, Organics, politics, president, rants, social & economic justice, US Politics Tagged: | farming, Food and Drug administration, Genetically modified food, Genetically modified organism, High-fructose corn syrup, Monsanto, Obama, Saudi Arabia