How do I give a good present and at the same time do good?
There is always fair trade, organic chocolates or non-toxic toys.
This year we added a musical choice. Occupy This Album: a compilation of music by, for and inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement and the 99%. Lots of good stuff here. The album artists include: Ani DiFranco, Aeroplane Pageant, Crosby and Nash, Devo, Immortal Technique, Jackson Browne, Joseph Arthur, Lloyd Cole, Loudon Wainwright III, Lucinda Williams, Patti Smith, Stephan Said, Tao Rodriguez Seeger, The Guthrie Family, Third Eye Blind, Thievery Corporation, Tom Morello, Toots And The Maytals, Warren Haynes, Willie Nelson, Yoko Ono, Yo La Tengo & more.
All the proceeds of the album “will go directly towards the needs of sustaining” the Occupy Wall Street movement.
Some of our favorites off the first CD of this album include:
- Matt Pless kicks off the album with his call for a better world in his “Something’s Got to Give” a Blowing in the Wind for a new century
- Patti Smith performing a live, Occupy-inspired version of her freedom anthem “People Have the Power”
- Willie Nelson still brings it with his “A Peaceful Solution” calling for the 99% to “take back America”
And that’s just off the 1st of 4 CDs in this set.
Note: At no cost to you or Occupy, the sellers of the items listed here pay us a small commission which helps cover the cost of our peace and justice work, including the cost of this website.
Related Progressive Books:
- 10 Progressive Books for the Holidays
- Celebrate Woody Guthrie 100th Birthday with one of our favorite books
- Nader Approved: Get Up, Stand Up: Uniting Populists, Energizing the Defeated and Battling the Corporate Elite
- Book Review: Why You’ve Never Met A Man Named Shirley
- What’s in your Occupy Handbook?
- Meadows classics and newbooks from Shuman & Lovins
- Punk Rock, Seattle and Kent State
- Green Politics Is Eutopian
- Practicing Peace in Times of War by Pema Chödrön
Related progressive Holiday Ideas:
- A Peaceful Mother’s Day: Thoughts, Gift Ideas, and The Proclamation
- Dance, Recite, and Converse for Earth Day!
- All I Want For Christmas Is An Occupation
- 12 Reasons “It’s A Wonderful Life” is like Occupy Wall Street
- 99 Silver Bells and other Occupy Christmas Carols ………(was our Peace Song of the Day for 12/13/11)
- Passover and Easter: 10 Ways To Foster Peace For The Holidays
- Book shopping for a compassionate Valentines Day!
Filed under: activism, Anti-War, Art, Holidays, music, Occupy Wall Street, original music, Peace, politics, social & economic justice, sustainability, US Politics Tagged: | ani difranco, Arlo Guthrie, David Crosby, Occupy Wall Street, patti smith, progressive, Stephan Said, Tom Morello, Yo Lo Tango, Yoko Ono