Newsday’s Joye Brown rightfully argues against the re-privatization of LIPA. In addition to the many reasons detailed on this site why turning LIPA back into LILCO will only make matters worse, Brown explains that:
One issue unaddressed by the Moreland Commission is a LIPA study that determined that going to private ownership would significantly increase customer costs.
My only fault with Brown article — if you can read it behind the pay wall –is that she lets NY’s Tea party Governor, Andrew Cuomo, off the hook. As we’ve detailed in prior posts he wanted to privatize LIPA all along. He has neglected LIPA for years. He failed to appoint a permant CEO or fill the many empty board seats. Now he is cashing in on the fruit of his neglect.
- Unhappy with LIPA? (April 20, 2011)
- Why should LIPA be afraid of Suffolk? (December 10, 2009)
- LIPA/NYPA: Don’t Bailout National Grid (July 14, 2009)
- NY Governor Paterson vetoes bill to provide LIPA accountability (September 8, 2007)
- Why Audubon Members Should Support LI Offshore Windmills (july 1, 2008)
- Wind Energy back for LI (April 17, 2008)
- A Better Electric Plan for Long Island (March 6, 2008)
- Input needed for LIPA master plan (February 4, 2008)
- Tell LIPA by 9/25/07, we need Offshore Wind (September 27, 2007)
- LIPA Breaks Wind (August 23, 2007)